Being on a gluten-free diet doesn’t mean you need to exclude delicious food from your life. On the contrary, it only means that you need to pay attention to the ingredients you use in your homemade recipes and that you need to avoid cross-contamination by keeping your work surfaces, pans, and kitchen utensils free of gluten.
Today we are going to learn how to cook gluten free Teriyaki chicken. Obviously, the key ingredient in this Asian dish is the Teriyaki sauce.
Homemade gluten free Teriyaki chicken recipe – The Sauce
Obviously, there are many recipes for Teriyaki sauce. The one we propose is not only delicious but also easy to make. This is what you will need:
- 1 cup of soy sauce (obviously, gluten-free!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Preparation of the gluten free teriyaki sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a clean saucepan.
- Cook on medium-high heat until the brown sugar dissolves and the sauce simmers.
- Let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
If you want a thicker teriyaki sauce, you can add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch or tapioca starch to the mix towards the end of the cooking process.
There you go! This sauce can be used in various Asian dishes (including Teriyaki Chicken), as a dipping sauce, or for marinades (fish, poultry, grilled meats, etc.)
What to look out for
There are certain aspects you need to pay attention to. Ready-made soy sauces, as well as teriyaki sauces, usually contain wheat. So make sure that the soy sauce you are going to use in this recipe is gluten-free.
San-J Organic Gluten or Eden Organic Soy Sauce are only some of the available gluten-free soy sauce options. However, make sure not to fall in the ‘I’ve used this brand before and it’s gluten free’ trap.
Always read product labels! Sometimes, manufacturers change ingredients without previous notice.
How to pair up your delicious Teriyaki sauce with chicken
Now that your gluten-free teriyaki is ready, it’s time to add chicken to the mix. You have several possibilities.
If you intend to grill the chicken, this is what you should do:
1. Use a Ziploc bag to mix 4-6 chicken breasts and half of your teriyaki sauce
2. Put the bag in the fridge and let the chicken marinate for 15 minutes – 1 hour
3. Grill the chicken (in a grill pan or a grill)
4. After you flip the chicken, brush its top with teriyaki sauce
Or, if you prefer, you can opt for a delicious stir-fry teriyaki chicken recipe. If you decide to add veggies to the mix or not depends on your personal preferences. These are the steps:
1. Cut the chicken (breasts or thighs) into similar-sized cubes
2. Stir-fry the chicken cubes using olive or avocado oil for about 5-6 minutes at medium heat
3. Add the teriyaki sauce and cook for 3 more minutes at medium heat
Teriyaki chicken can be served with rice, steamed cauliflower, broccoli, or other vegetables. Enjoy!