- Twizzlers are everyone’s favorite movie snack candy.
- Twizzlers has been in the market since 1930.
- Hershey owns Twizzlers.
- Twizzlers are not gluten free.
Is Twizzlers gluten free? Twizzlers are long twisted chewy candy with different fruit flavors and come in different sizes. Twizzlers are produced by Y&S company and a wide range of nibbling candies. They use wheat flour, corn syrup, and cornstarch as the glue in making these tasty Twizzlers, therefore making them high in gluten and NOT gluten free.
With growing awareness of healthy eating and nutritious diets, people avoid gluten products to prevent weight gain and bad cholesterol. Gluten is a unique strain of protein commonly found in wheat products that do not add any kind of nutritional value to the body but maintains the shape of the edibles and gives an elegant finish.
They are extensively used in junk products, snacks, pizzas, tasty candies, chocolates, and even alcohol for refined taste and texture. Gluten is common in most food we consume outside, but it’s crucial to find out which of your favorite foods is gluten free and which are not. Here, let’s check out the popular gummy candy Twizzlers’ gluten status.
What are Twizzlers?
Twizzlers candy has been manufactured by one of the oldest confectionery companies in the USA, Young & Smylie, since 1845. They created licorice Twizzlers first and stole the market in an instant. The licorice twist with a sweet and sour blend is a delicious treat and a perfect chewing candy.
Slowly by 1977, Hershey acquired the company and started making other flavored Twizzlers along with gums, candies, and toffees. The Twizzlers use wheat flour to maintain the texture and stiffness of the sweet and give a soggy appearance. This non gluten-free candy is one of the favorite kids’ snacks and movie nibbler candy.
The Twizzler also made it to the Guinness book of records, making the most extended licorice twist of 1200 feet long and weighing 45 kgs in 1998. The brand also makes Nibs, licorice pieces to nibble, and it’s the by-product of the Twizzlers.
Is Twizzler Gluten free?
Answering the critical question here – No, Twizzlers are not gluten free product. They are made of wheat flour and contain high amounts of gluten.
To clear the confusion, Hershey company also released a statement stating that no flavor of Twizzler is gluten free. Well, now that you know Twizzlers are not free of gluten, let’s look into some details about it and learn some alternatives to the tasty nibblers.
Ingredients of Twizzlers
A single Twizzler twist contains corn syrup, sugar, wheat flour, corn starch, palm oil, salt, glycerin, artificial flavor, citric acid, potassium sorbate, Red 40, tropical flavors, fruits, vegetable oil, and soy lecithin.
Twizzlers do not contain gelatin like many people assume neither does it have any form of meat in it, thus making it perfect for vegans. Three pieces of Twizzlers twist include,
- 35 grams of total carbohydrates
- 35 grams of net carbohydrates
- 1 gram of fats
- 1 gram of protein
- 150 calories
Potential Benefits of Twizzlers
- May Ease Sore Throat
Licorice candies have always been a go-to candy when you have cold symptoms. Having citrus-filled Twizzlers can help you ease the sore throat as it has Licorice, which shows antibacterial properties.
It calms your upper respiratory tract problems and gives you a bit of comfort. Some singers keep nibbling Twizzlers to have a calm sensation over their throat and sing perfectly. Well, now you know what you should have when you have a sore throat! Don’t forget to try lemon Twizzlers when you catch a cold!
- May Reduce Asthma Allergy
Some studies say that black licorice compounds can reduce the inflammation caused by asthma in patients regarding black licorice Twizzlers. As a result, some doctors suggest asthma patients chew onto black licorice Twizzlers to ease their discomfort and calm their heaving sensation.
- Good For Your Teeth
The Twizzlers have a rich vitamin C content due to citrus flavors, black licorice, and fruits, which may have the ability to possess potent antibacterial agents. So it is no surprise that elders tell children to eat more citrus before bed to avoid tooth decay and cavities.
Consuming citrus and black licorice in candy form may help you reduce any state of tooth cavity and decay.
- May Help with Digestion
Twizzlers have lovely sour and sweet candies that have different fruits, black licorice, and lemon flavors. They all contain good vitamin C content and suitable digestive fibers, which can help fast and healthy digestion.
The fibers, especially in the black licorice Twizzlers, can settle the stomach, aid digestion, and prevent ulcers. Having spicy food? Don’t forget to nibble Twizzlers after it!
Can Gluten-free Twizzlers Be Made?
Twizzlers are made up of wheat, but fear not, here is a fantastic recipe to make gluten free Cherry licorice Twizzlers at home! Even though there are brands out there who make gluten free Twizzlers, it is not safe as there is a high possibility of cross-contamination of gluten substances in the production houses. And the brands that make good gluten free Twizzlers are either costly and very hard to get. So let’s make tasty red cherry licorice Twizzlers at home.
RED CHERRY LICORICE TWIZZLERS
- ½ cup or 70 grams of all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of cherry flavoring oil of any brand
- ¼ teaspoon Red gel food coloring or any color of your choice
- 8 tablespoons or 112 grams of unsalted butter at normal temperature
- 1 cup or 200 grams of granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons or 168 grams of light corn syrup
- ½ cup or 156 grams of sweet condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons or 84 grams of honey or molasses
- Assemble all the ingredients near the stove
- Take a small bowl, put flour, xanthan gum, salt, and whisk them well.
- Take a large saucepan, put butter, sugar, and corn syrup first, and mix the ingredients until the butter is blended well with other ingredients.
- Then pour the condensed milk into the butter blend and mix it on simmer till it becomes thick.
- Maintain the heat at 240F and slowly add flavoring oil and food color to it and mix it well.
- Your candy is ready, and let it cool down a bit before you pour it on the baking dish.
- Take the baking dish, pour your candy blend and whisk it fast and quickly.
- There should be no lumps, and it has to become a thick paste.
- Take a tray and grease it with butter and pour your mixture on it.
- Adjust the blend, spread it evenly, and put it into the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Take the tray out and flip it upside down onto a plate. The candy should fall in one piece.
- Now take a long knife and cut strips of your choice. Preferably at least ¼ inch wide.
- Take each strip and twist it on both sides to give it a Twizzlers’ look.
- For more impact, place the newly twisted Twizzlers again into the refrigerator to harden the shape.
- Remove them after 30 minutes max and serve them.
- You can try to add different flavors and also add fruit punch to the candy blend if you like.
- If you add citrus fruits, make sure to add milk in the end and do not let it cook longer than 5 minutes.
Try different flavors in the same process. You can also add tiny chopped raisins, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, sugar, small pieces of fruits, and spices to give a different taste to the candy blend. Well, the recipe looks pretty simple. So what’s stopping you now from making gluten free Twizzlers at home now?
TWIZZLERS STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE
Twizzlers have a unique taste of sweetness, and it adds tremendous flavor to milkshakes and icecreams. Now that you know how to make red cherry Twizzlers at home, let’s use them to create a fantastic Twizzlers strawberry milkshake. If you have strawberry Twizzlers made at home, use them instead of cherry, but cherry Twizzlers also give you a delicate taste for the milkshake.
- One glass of condensed milk
- ½ cup of Hershey’s strawberry syrup
- 3 freshly sliced strawberries
- 3 Strawberry Twizzlers (homemade)
- 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Take the ice cream, strawberries, two strawberry Twizzlers into the blender and blend them.
- Let the Twizzlers be semi blended, so you taste the pieces here and there
- Add Hershey’s strawberry syrup to the blender and blend it for one second.
- Finally, add the condensed milk to the blender and blend it once.
- Spritz the glass with strawberry syrup and pour the milkshake into it.
- Place one Twizzlers twister into it and serve it to enjoy.
It is essential to blend it step by step to make the milkshake creamy and fresh. However, mixing all the ingredients can give you uneven texture, so do it step by step to make a delicious Twizzlers strawberry milkshake.
TWIZZLERS SPARKLE CAKE
You can use the gluten free Twizzlers and bake a cake to go with it! The recipe is quite simple, and it makes a perfect birthday cake. All you need is,
- 1 box of gluten free cake mix
- 2 containers of white frosting
- 3 containers of sprinklers of colors of your choice
- Make 20 Twizzlers of cherry and strawberry
- 3 jumbo sized marshmallows
- 3 skinny pretzel sticks
- 1 pack of red candy melt wafers
- 1 small container of chocolate
- Bake the cake with the cake mix but in two parts.
- When the cake is baked, take the white frosting and apply it in the middle of the cakes before stacking them on top of each other.
- After stacking them, apply white frosting all over the cake evenly.
- Now take the Twizzlers and cut them evenly before placing them neatly around the cake in a standing position, more like a fence. You can make different colored Twizzlers to make the cake colorful.
- After placing the Twizzlers, load the cake with sprinkles on the top of the cake.
- Melt red candy wafers in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir them till they become a thick paste.
- Dip the marshmallows into the red candy wafers and let them cool.
- Dip 3 skinny pretzels in hot chocolate and let them cool before you make them as firecrackers.
- Insert the chocolate dipped pretzel sticks into the top of the red candy marshmallow to create firecrackers. Place them on the top of the cake.
- Add sparkling candles to the marshmallows before it’s presented.
In case you don’t have sprinklers, cut the homemade Twizzlers into tiny pieces and spread them over the top of your cake. You can also add the trim pieces to the cake mix before letting it bake. Kids will thoroughly enjoy tasting the strawberry or cherry flavored Twizzlers inside the cake.
If it’s Halloween, all you need to do is make some Twizzlers with different food coloring agents and use your creativity to make scary-looking cakes. Remember to use white frosting to give a better taste, as the chocolate frosting will contradict the taste of the Twizzlers. You can also use butterscotch, caramel, pasta flavors to make Twizzlers cakes.
Twizzlers are a unique candy that offers a sweet and sour taste and makes a perfect movie snack. In addition, the candies can easily be used to make delicious milkshakes and desserts.
If you are too strict with your gluten free diet yet want to enjoy these sweet-sour candies, you can try the gluten free Twizzlers recipe to meet your Twizzler cravings.
More Posts For You: