- Coconuts are naturally gluten, dairy, lactose, and soy-free.
- Though their name may be misleading, coconuts are not actually nuts. That means that it is safe to eat by people with nut allergies. What’s more, coconut milk is naturally gluten-free.
- The fact that a product has been made from coconuts does not necessarily mean that it is free of gluten. Sometimes, in order to obtain a specific taste or texture, gluten-containing ingredients can be added.
- If you are celiac or suffer from gluten-intolerance, make sure to always read the labels as gluten-containing ingredients may be added.
Is coconut milk gluten free? Yes, that tasty beverage you normally see in movies or on survival where people cut the tasty thing in half with a big knife and drink the milk straight out of the fruit. We are talking about coconuts obviously, and if you want to learn more about them, and if they are a good fit for celiac people or gluten free by choice diets, please read on.
An awesome alternative to dairy, coconut milk is a delicious and refreshing beverage that not only comes with a series of undeniable health benefits but it is also extremely versatile and easy to fit in any gluten-free, vegan, or vegetarian diet.
Rich in vitamins and low in calories, coconut milk allows you to add excitement and freshness to your breakfasts, as well as to your cooking and baking recipes.
Is Coconut Milk Gluten Free – What is coconut milk
Coconut milk usually contains coconut cream and filtered water. The coconut cream is obtained from grated mature coconut flesh. However, just like in the case of other plant-based milks (e.g. almond milk), coconut milk may contain added thickeners or other ingredients such as sugars or flavors.
Though their name may be misleading, coconuts are not actually nuts. That means that it is safe to eat by people with nut allergies. What’s more, coconut milk is naturally gluten-free.
Though coconut milk contains more saturated fat than other milk alternatives, it does provide other benefits. One cup of unsweetened coconut milk contains:
- 50 calories
- 2 g carbohydrates
- 0 g protein
- 5 g fat
Since coconut milk does not naturally contain vitamin A, vitamin D, or calcium, many manufacturers fortify their products with these essential nutrients.
If we are to sum up the pros and cons of coconut milk beverages, we should highlight that:
- They rarely cause allergies
- They are usually enriched with vitamin A, vitamin D, and calcium
- They are low in calories
On the negative part:
- High saturated fat content
- Poor source of protein
- They may contain potentially dangerous additives such as carrageenan and gluten-containing added ingredients
Known brands for gluten-free coconut milk beverages
So Delicious makes all its coconut milks from organic coconuts. All their products are dairy-free, NON-GMO project verified, and Certified Vegan. If you want to take a look at all the available varieties, check out their website.
Their Organic Unsweetened Coconutmilk Beverage contains:
- Organic Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Organic Coconut Cream)
- 2% or Less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Phosphate, L-Selenomethionine [Selenium], Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin D2, Vitamin A Acetate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin B12)
- Gellan Gum
- Organic Sunflower Lecithin
- Sea Salt
- Organic Locust Bean Gum
Another manufacturer that takes pride in providing dairy-free, organic, high-quality plant-based milks, Pacific Foods puts at your disposal a series of delicious coconut beverages that you can check out here.
Their Organic Unsweetened Coconut Original contains:
• Coconut cream
1% OR LESS OF:
- Coconut water concentrate
- Gellan Gum
- Sodium Citrate
- Vitamin D2
- Guar Gum
- Xanthan Gum
- Natural Flavor
- Tricalcium Phosphate
What’s more, Organic Unsweetened Coconut Original is ideal for the following special diets:
- Carrageenan Free
- Wheat Free
- Dairy Free
- Yeast Free
- Gluten Free
- Low Sodium
- Soy Free
A manufacturer based in Brazil, Obrigado provides a series of delicious Non-GMO Project Verified coconut-derived products. You can find them all here.
Their Obrigado Coco Drink Original contains:
- Coconut water (65%)
- Coconut milk (10%)
- Natural flavorings
- Guar gum
- Xanthan gum
- No preservatives
This coconut milk is naturally low-fat, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Rude Health’ Organic Coconut Drink
Rude Health’s Coconut drink is gluten-free certified, grain-free, and dairy free. What’s more, it contains no added sugars or thickeners. However, it does contain rice.
- Organic coconut milk (7.5%)
- Organic rice
- Sea salt
- Spring water
Nutrition facts (per 100ml):
Energy – 223 kJ / 53 kcal
Carbohydrates – 10.4g (of which sugars 4.2g)
Fat – 1.2g (of which saturated 1g)
Fibre – 0.7g
Protein – 0.1g
Salt – 0.1g
Rude Health offers a wide range of organic, dairy-free drinks. You can check them all out here.
Things to look out for
The fact that a product has been made from coconuts does not necessarily mean that it is free of gluten. Sometimes, in order to obtain a specific taste or texture, gluten-containing ingredients can be added.
Whether you are about to purchase a coconut milk beverage or canned coconut milk, make sure to carefully read the label, especially if the product is not labeled as gluten-free.
To sum up
Coconuts are naturally gluten, dairy, lactose, and soy-free. A healthy and refreshing alternative to dairy milk, coconut milk is a versatile product that is extensively used worldwide as a base for curries, sauces, soups, and many other delicious recipes.
However, if you are celiac or suffer from gluten-intolerance, make sure to always read the labels as gluten-containing ingredients may be added.