- SMIRNOFF is internationally noted as the producer of premium vodka.
- Its vodka is made out of corn, which makes it gluten free.
- However, Smirnoff Ice is a brewed malt beverage in France and the US, and its not be gluten free.
- In some other countries, Smirnoff Ice is vodka-based; but it is difficult to confirm that this pre-mixed vodka beverage has no gluten.
Is Smirnoff Ice gluten free? Not in the US and France. Why? Because in these countries they include malt in the making process which contains gluten.
In other countries they only use the Vodka base for the mix of the drink.
So does that mean that in other countries the drink is gluten free? Nope, while they don’t use malt, there is no way to confirm that the ingredients are 100% gluten free, so those with Celiac should probably avoid this drink.
Smirnoff Ice Gluten Free Confidence Score
More about Smirnoff Ice
If you love your alcohol, then you don’t need a new introduction to Smirnoff. It has earned its reputation internationally as a vodka producer. Without a doubt, it’s the top seller of vodka in the US. And, it has even bagged the highest number of awards for his products.
You probably already know that the history of the brand is set in Russia. Its operations began in a Moscow-based distillery in the 19th century.
But, did you know that the brand is owned by a company named Diageo? Today, it is popular among vodka patrons in 130 nations.
Now, Smirnoff also has a range of malt beverages, known as Smirnoff Ice, which is available in America and France.
It has no vodka content; in fact, it is a brewed beverage that you can compare with beer instead of vodka.
Interestingly though, there is another variant of Smirnoff Ice with vodka in it. This is available in Canada, Australia, Europe (except France), and Latin America, and is a pre-mixed beverage that contains Smirnoff Vodka No. 21.
This popular alcoholic brand comes in many flavors. You take your delicious pick from the classic flavors like:
- Green apple
- Hurricane Punch
- Pineapple Coconut, and several others!
The original one, i.e., Classic, has an interesting citrusy twist
These ready-to-drink beverages are extremely popular. But, are they gluten free? Well, After all, it is a malt drink from the house of vodkas. Sadly, you will not like the answer to this question.
Unlike Smirnoff’s vodkas, which are made from corn, the variant of Smirnoff Ice available in the US and France is from malt. And, malt is usually derived from barley or wheat.
So, Smirnoff Ice is not on the list of gluten free drinks. And, there’s no confirmation by the company to state otherwise.
Full Smirnoff Ice Flavors List
The popular brand has many different flavors to choose from:
|Original||Neon Lemonade||Pink Lemonade|
|Peach Lemonade||Poco Pico Variety||Spicy Tamarind|
|Original can||Original Zero Sugar||Variety Pack|
|Black Cherry||Grape||Green Apple|
|Margarita Can||Peach Bellini||Pineapple|
|Raspberry||Raspberry Can||Red White & Berry|
|Triple Black||Watermelon Mimosa||Pink Lemonade|
Ingredients of Smirnoff Ice
The Smirnoff Ice variant in the US is 4.5% ABV. This percentage of alcohol is pretty standard for beer. In fact, Smirnoff Ice is comparable to beer in the manufacturing process, because it is also brewed.
This malt liquor contains a hint of fruity sweetness, which makes it really popular. One bottle of Smirnoff Ice of 11.2 fl.oz. contains 33 grams of carbs and 220 calories.
Is Alcohol in general Gluten Free?
If you have a gluten allergy, then you know that you cannot have anything that comes from wheat, barley, or rye.
It obviously limits your good choices, and you need to be strict about your diet and also alcohol consumption.
A large number of alcoholic beverages, which are derived from wheat, barley, etc., contain gluten. So, you have to make sure to avoid them, to avoid triggering your condition.
However, there’s good news. There are many alcoholic beverages that you can enjoy, even if you follow a gluten free diet.
So, which alcoholic drinks can fit in your gluten free lifestyle?
Here’s a list of gluten free alcoholic beverages:
● Rum: Made from sugarcane juice or molasses, rum contains no gluten. However, make sure to avoid the flavored ones, which might contain wheat!
● Wine: Made out or grapes, wine does not contain gluten and is safe for you to drink.
● Tequila: Made from blue agave plants, this is yet another gluten-free alcoholic beverage.
● Hard Ciders: Made from apple juice, ciders are free from gluten and will not harm you.
● Vodka: Made from various plants, grains, and vegetables, vodka can be tricky. But the way to pick gluten free vodka is to go with the ones distilled from either potato or corn only.
Now, which alcoholic drinks are not fit for someone with a gluten allergy?
Here’s a list of alcohols that contain gluten:
● Beer: Made from barley and wheat, both of which are sources of gluten, beer is a strict no-no.
● Whiskey: Made from barley, whiskey is another drink that you need to skip if you have a gluten allergy.
● Bourbon: Made by distilling grains with gluten, bourbon doesn’t get a place in a gluten-free life.
● Gin: Made by mixing various ingredients that include gluten grains, gin doesn’t make the cut, either.
Simply put, any drink that is produced from gluten grains or malt is to be strictly avoided. And, that includes Smirnoff Ice, a malt beverage.
Smirnoff Sourced – A Gluten Free Flavored Alcoholic Drink
If you love flavored drinks, then Smirnoff Sourced is a healthier option for you. And, if you’re allergic to gluten, you can drink Sourced without any fear.
This is because Smirnoff Sourced contains neither synthetic sugars nor gluten. Instead of fructose-rich corn syrup, it contains 10% pure fruit juice.
The unflavored vodkas of Smirnoff are safe for you to drink if you have a gluten allergy. This is because Smirnoff vodka is made by distilling corn.
As a result, there’s no gluten in it. In fact, all vodkas made from potato or corn are gluten free, as you must have already understood by now.
But, the problem begins when you pick up a flavored drink – even vodka. Flavored alcoholic beverages contain synthetic sugars.
And, that is how gluten makes its place in the flavored drinks, making them unfit for you. And that is where Smirnoff steps in, with Sourced, with three flavors.
Flavors of Smirnoff Sourced:
● Cranberry Apple: Every sip has the crispness of apples with a dash of cranberry’s sweetness.
● Pineapple: Enjoy the classic touch of pineapple’s vibrancy and juiciness in this vodka variant.
● Ruby Red Grapefruit: This is a sweet and refreshing drink and yet has a zestful touch.
Features of Smirnoff Sourced:
- Gluten free
- Free from artificial sugars or corn syrup with high levels of fructose
- Made with pure fruit
- Contains natural flavors
- Less than 94 calories in each serving
- Incredible smoothness and clarity
- Triple distilled and ten-times filtered
Smirnoff Sourced is the latest innovation from the house of the vodka king. And, it adds a little bit of natural freshness to the world of beverages, which mostly depends on artificial flavors.
It offers three deliciously fruity flavors and is the perfect choice of flavored alcohol if you have a gluten allergy!
Smirnoff Ice is a great brand and very popular, but for people who live in the US or France and avoid gluten this is a no no.
We also can’t confirm that the drink from other countries is gluten free, so if you have Celiac disease you should probably avoid this drink.
Make sure you also read our related article about Brandy and if it’s gluten free or not