- Chapsticks are commonly called lip balms.
- Chapsticks originated in the 1880s.
- Chapsticks are gluten free.
Is Chapstick Gluten Free? Gluten-free diets are tedious themselves, but when it comes to cosmetics, it becomes difficult. It is hard to avoid cosmetics and beauty products with gluten. Gluten helps to give texture for many cosmetic products, and chapsticks are an exception.
Many brands do not contain gluten, but they are highly subjected to gluten cross-contamination. Chapsticks are gluten free, but many exclusive brands use gluten to give it more texture and make it stickier and shinier. But let’s dive into the topic to find more about gluten free chapsticks.
Is Chapstick Gluten Free? What is Chapstick?
Chapsticks are a cosmetic product made of petrolatum, and it comes in a small tube that helps you prevent chapped lips. It is very common during winters as the wax prevents cracks and chapped lips. They come in different flavors and sizes.
Chapsticks are fortunately gluten-free except for a few brands. Many brands make a wide range of cosmetic products that can make chapsticks victim to gluten contamination. But mostly, all the chapsticks are gluten-free.
Are chapsticks gluten free?
Yes, chapsticks are gluten free except for a few.
Chapsticks, also called lip salves, originated in the 1880s. They are wax-like substances applied on the lips to keep them moist and repair cracked lips. They often contain beeswax, carnauba wax, paraffin, camphor, cetyl alcohol, lanolin, petrolatum, and other ingredients.
Chapsticks today come in various brands in different flavors, different colors, with other fragrances. They are gluten-free, but some brands use gluten to make the chapsticks shiner and thicker. It is better to check the label before purchasing a chapstick.
How to check the ingredients of chapsticks to avoid gluten?
When you buy chapsticks, you should never forget to check the ingredients before buying. They are technical terms you are not aware of. Take a look at ingredients that have gluten.
- Sativa or oat bran
- Vulgar or barley
- Cereal or rye seed
- Vulgare or wheat bran
- Vitamin E from wheat
The above ingredients are pretty common in chapsticks with bright colors and a shinier finish. It is vital to check the label for the above ingredients. Do not buy any of the chapsticks with those ingredients.
Brands that have other products like compact, makeup kits, etc., along with chapsticks under them, are subjected to cross-contamination.
How to make gluten free chapstick?
Chapsticks are usually gluten free, but there are few exceptions. Even though some are gluten free chapsticks, they are a high possibility to have cross-contamination
of gluten. So why not make your own gluten-free chapstick to face the upcoming winter? Well, here is the recipe to make homemade gluten-free chapstick.
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax shavings or pearls
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- ¼ of a teaspoon of vanilla essential oil.
- Take the beeswax and cocoa butter in a beaker.
- Place the beaker on a saucepan with simmering water.
- Stir the mixture till it completely melts down.
- Add almond oil and vanilla essential oil to the mixture.
- And stir it for three minutes.
- Pour the mixture into lip balm tins
- Allow the mixture to cool down till it comes solid.
- The process can take 30 minutes of colling and just 15 minutes of cooking time.
Well, you know how to make chapstick on your own. You can mix different essential oils and even fruit flavors to keep the chapstick yummy and moist.
How to make vegetable gluten free chapstick?
When it comes to vegetables, beetroot is the best vegetable to make a lip balm. Beetroot juice is a rich source of vitamins and minerals that results in healthy and glowing lips. It also has vitamin C, which is effective in reducing pigmentation and moistening the lips.
Beetroot lip balm with ghee
- Beetroot juice,
- and water
- Wash and peel a giant beetroot.
- Cut the beetroot into tiny pieces and make a thick juice out of it.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of ghee and 2 teaspoons of beetroot juice to a glass bowl.
- Mix it thoroughly.
- Take boiling hot water in a vessel and place the glass bowl in it.
- Mix the ingredients again.
- When the mixture is entirely liquid, fill it in a small tube or steel container.
- Keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Well, your beetroot lip balm is ready. For extra moisture, you can also add Vaseline.
Advantages of Beetroot lip balm
Beetroot helps to remove the blackness of the lips. The vegetable brings back the pink colors of your lips. It gives natural moisture to the lips. It prevents dry, cracked, and chapped lips.
How to make fruity gluten free chapstick?
Who does not love a fruity lip balm for the summers? Lip balms are much better with a touch of fruits. So follow the steps below to make a fruity gluten free lip balm:
- Almond oil
- Hemp oil
- Take beeswax and cocoa butter in a double boiler and melt them over the steam.
- Add almond oil to it and mix it well.
- Let it cool a bit, and then add 2 tablespoons of strawberry juice to it.
- Make sure the strawberry juice is a thick paste, and then add a hint of honey to it.
- Blend them all together.
- Pour it in a lip balm tube.
- Place it in the freezer for one hour.
- And it’s good to be used.
Fruits have rich vitamins and minerals that can help in healing chapping lips. They even provide sun protection and prevent dry lips. They heal gently and are edible. You can make lip balms with different fruits of your choice and add sugar for a bit of sweetness. Almond oil smoothens the skin and prevents cracking.
Well, what are you waiting for? Make some fruity gluten free chapsticks at home!
Advantages of chapsticks
- Your skin heals faster
Chapsticks are made up of petroleum wax and beeswax, which helps to keep the lips moist and hydrated. If you are suffering from chapped lips and dry lips, chapsticks help you heal gently and faster. Lip balms that are organic and gluten free can keep your lips healthy and glowing.
- Avoid chapped lips embarrassments
Peeling and cracking lips are always a sight of embarrassment. Winters are the time when the thin layer of lips easily peels off and leads to dry and chapped lips. Thus, making lip balms vital during winters. You can avoid embarrassing peeling lips!
- Contains SPF protection
Today, most of the lip balms/ chapsticks have SPF protection making them perfect for summers too. People with sensitive skin face chapped lips and dry lips very often. The best way to prevent it is by applying lip balms. They keep them moist and healthy.
What else can chapstick be used for other than lips?
People often think chapsticks are just for lips but guess what? They can be used for various other reasons. Lip balms are for all seasons, especially for winters. Here are 10 innovative ways to use chapsticks.
- Use them for cuticles. Massage the cuticles with lip balm in the night. They will be soft and pliable by the time you are up.
- Apply your chapstick over your makeup to remove it faster and easier.
- Chapsticks are the best alternative for hand lotion. Swipe the chapstick over dry patches on the skin and rub it over to keep them moist and hydrated.
- Cracked fingertips are the worst during winter. You can apply a thick layer over the fingertips to heal it faster and protect the area. You can even use it overnight for more impact.
- Lip balms make your cheekbones shine all day. So, dab it as much as you like. If it’s colored, your cheeks are going to stand out!
- Crinkles around your eyes? Well, dab some regular lip balm around the eyes to keep it hydrated and minimize the lines. Dark circles can also be reduced.
- You can use chapstick to keep your brow hairs in place and keep it shining and bright.
- If you are looking for some shining eye shadow, mix some lip balm with the eye shadow powder. Apply it with a lipstick brush and gear up for a glamourous night.
- Baby hairs are such a mess, so use chapstick to keep them intact without harming your hair.
- When you have a runny nose, you might end up hurting your nose. So apply some lip balm after you use a tissue to protect your skin from getting irritated.
Why are gluten free chapsticks the best?
Many famous brands use rich gluten substances to give the lip balm better colors and texture. They also use synthetic ingredients, which are not healthy. Some brands also use nuts and fruits, which use a high amount of preservatives. So, people with sensitive skin can be affected, leading to different kinds of allergies. That’s why gluten free and organic chapsticks are the best solution for sensitive skin.
- Worsening of lip chapping
Some chapsticks may not be as impactful as they are supposed to be. Due to too many synthetic ingredients, they can worsen lip chapping. Sometimes they contain an allergen, which can cause lip rash or severe lip chapping. It is vital to check the ingredients before buying a chapstick. Try gluten free chapstick to prevent any allergic reactions.
- Makes lip drier
Many shiny lip balms contain phenol, methanol, and salicylic acid, which can make your lips drier. Even though they give a matt finish to your lips, they end up dehydrating your lips and cause lip cracks. Never use chapsticks with allergens. They only increase lip damage. Use gluten free chapsticks to keep your lips moist and bright.
Gluten free chapstick brands
Aquaphor is quite famous for its two lip products of lip repair and lip protectant + sunscreen chapsticks. And luckily, both the products are gluten free.
The brand ensures that neither of the products is subjected to gluten contamination even though the company uses gluten-based cosmetics.
Beauty by Earth
Beauty by Earth products come with a wide range of chapsticks or lip balms that are 100% certified to be organic and have gluten free ingredients. This is one of the few brands you don’t have to worry about gluten.
The brand uses soy, corn, petroleum mainly. It comes in different flavors like vanilla, mint, fruits, honey, pina colada, lime, and many more. This is a must-try brand to fit your gluten-free cosmetics.
Dr Bronner’s chapstick
Dr. Bronner’s is an organic cosmetic company. They make gluten-free and organic chapstick that can quickly restore the chapped lips and keep the lips moist and healthy.
They make their entire lip balm collection with organic beeswax, hemp, avocado, and jojoba oils. They do not use synthetic ingredients and are perfect for extra dry and cracked lips.
The best part, the chapsticks can also be used to moisturize your hands, chins, cheeks, and feet. The chapsticks provide a protective barrier to face the harsh winters. The most famous gluten free flavors are lemon-lime, orange ginger, and peppermint.
Daughter Earth is an organic brand that makes gluten free lip balms. The chapsticks are made of real butter of fruits and kokum to heal broken gently and scarred lips and keep them hydrated.
The lip balm also contains antioxidant ingredients and fights pollution, and gives rich sun protection.
The company assures all their users that the lip balms are not just lush and elite, but it’s absolutely safe and edible! It provides a good source of vitamin A and keeps you geared up for harsh winters.
Eco Lips is one such brand that ultimately uses organic and gluten free ingredients. All their product lines are gluten free. So you can definitely try their other cosmetic stuff without fear. They pack their chapsticks in plant pods and altogether avoid plastics in their products.
They have different organic flavors of chapsticks that keep the lips moist and healthy. Some of them are vegan tints, fruit-based, hemp, vegetable nutrient-based, and many more. Well, try all their products to keep your lips healthy and crack-free.
Eos Natural and organic lip balm
Eos natural and organic chapsticks are 100 % organic and gluten free. They do not use any synthetic ingredients. The brand makes exclusive lip balms with organic and gluten-free substances.
There are many flavors among which, sweet mint, vanilla bean, toasted marshmallow, cherry vanilla, tropical mango, lemon twist, strawberry peach, and honey apple are quite famous flavors. These chapsticks are pretty common among the youth for their wide range of variety and health benefits.
Hurraw is a premium brand that makes organic, vegan, and gluten free chapsticks. They make lip balms from vegan and cruelty-free ingredients, with natural oils, healthy kinds of butter, natural flavors, zinc oxide, and UV protectors.
They have a limited collection, but doctors highly recommend it for healing severely chapped lips. The Hurraw chapsticks keep your lips moist and hydrated and heal them gently. They use premium ingredients, making them the doctor’s ideal recommendation
All Good lip balm
All Good makes gluten-free lip balms that are USDA certified.
They make all their lip balms with organic ingredients, and all of them come with sun protection. gluten free lip balms give a softer and smoother finish.
All Good uses Vitamin E, olive oil, beeswax, antiseptic essential oils, and antioxidants for their chapsticks.
Rugged & Dapper lip balm
Rugged & Dapper makes a wide range of chapsticks in different flavors with organic and gluten free ingredients.
They are pretty common among the youngsters for their organic flavored moisty lip balms, which give a colored finish.
They use organic ingredients that are rich in vitamin C and E. They are perfect for all the seasons. Try their mint and eucalyptus lip balm for the best experience!
Chapsticks are lip balms that are used to keep the lips moist and hydrated. They are pretty common in the winters as they heal chapped lips, peeling skins, and reduce lip pain. They are not just for the lips but also for dry skin on your hands and legs.
Chapsticks are gluten free, but few brands either use gluten to give the chapstick a texture and colored shine or are subject to gluten cross-contamination due to other product lines. It is vital to check the label before you buy chapstick.
More Post for You: