- Haribo Gummy Bears are soft, chewy, and colorful.
- Haribo Gummy Bears are sold in 5 flavors.
- Haribo Gummy Bears are made in Germany.
- Haribo Gummy Bears are not gluten free.
Are the tasty Haribo Gummy Bears gluten free? Unfortunately, just like many other jelly products and chewy candies, Haribo Gummy Bears are not gluten free.
With growing awareness of gluten free products and their benefits, people have started preferring healthy and gluten free items in their diet. Even though the entire process of going gluten free is tedious, it has excellent benefits for your health and body.
As gluten aids in giving a precise shape and adds a nice flavor to the confectionery items, all candy brands prefer to add it to their products. Haribo gummy bear, too, is no exception when it comes to the usage of gluten.
Gummy bears and taffy toffees definitely need gluten to taste sweet and delicious. Let’s focus on Haribo Gummy Bears and their properties and check if they are gluten free? If not, what are the alternatives? Let’s dive right in...
What are Haribo Gummy Bears?
The Haribo company is an established confectionery in Germany. It started in 1920, and they were the first ones to introduce gummy bears to the world in 1922. The brand grows every year for its innovative products and tasty jelly beans. It is trendy among children and gets completely sold out during Halloween.
The brand releases new flavors, colors depending on festive seasons like FIFA, summer, Euro cup, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, and many more. In addition, Haribo experiments with its gummy bears and other products and makes unique combos like licorice and gummy mix, the Haribo Color Rado.
The candies require corn and wheat to make them smooth, bouncy, and rigid in their shapes, thus making them non-gluten free.
Are Haribo Gummy Bears Gluten Free?
Unfortunately, Haribo Gummy Bears are not gluten free products. The gummy bears are made up of glucose extracted from corn and wheat, indirectly associated with gluten substances. Even though wheat is not directly involved, gluten strains are present in the ingredients.
Ingredients of Haribo Gummy Bears
The Haribo Gummy Bears are made up of:
- Rich glucose syrup extracted from wheat and corn
- Dextrose purely extracted from wheat,
- Fruit juice,
- Concentrates of apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, watermelon, grape, and pineapple.
- Acidity regulator, which has a good content of citric acid,
- Fruit, vegetable, and plant concentrates for flavors like safflower, spirulina, apple, elderberry, orange, blackcurrant, kiwi, lemon, Aronia, mango, passion fruit, grape),
- Flavor essence
- Elderberry extract,
- Glazing agents mostly white and yellow beeswax and carnauba wax.
Many brands exclusively use Haribo Gummy Bears to make tasty cakes, desserts, milkshakes, and even cocktails. They can easily be blended with other ingredients, and chefs love Haribo Gummy Bears to experiment with new dishes.
The Haribo Gummy Bears are rich in carbs and calories as 100 grams of them contain:
- Energy 1459 kJ
- Fat 0.5 grams
- Protein 6.9 grams
- Carbohydrates 77 grams
- Sugars 46 grams
- Saturates 0.1 grams
- Salt 0.07 grams
What are the Famous Haribo Gummy Bears Products?
Haribo Gummy Bears come in different flavors, colors, and sizes depending on the theme, the combination, and festivals. They can even be customized to get your favorite flavors all together in a pack. First, let’s look into Haribo Gummy Bears combinations:
- Haribo Original Goldbears
The Haribo Original Gold bears are the first set of gummy bears released by the brand in 1922.
They have no artificial coloring but have rich six fruit flavors of orange, pineapple, green apple, strawberry, lemon, and raspberry.
They have been pretty famous for decades for their cute bear-shaped jellies, and the brand is still making a sound in the market.
- Haribo Starmix Gummy Bears
Who doesn’t love the fun set of gummy bears that come in fun shapes and sizes? These Haribo Starmix gummy bears are shaped in hearts, marshmallows, omelets, bears, cola bottles, avocado, gummy bear friendship rings, and stars.
This set of gummy bears have a mixture of flavors like strawberry for the hearts, lemon for the omelets, cola for the cola bottles, and the standard flavors for the bears. The Haribo Starmix gummy bears are a fun combination that leaves a mixture of flavors in the mouth. They are the best pick for festive fun.
- Haribo Happy Cherry Gummy Bears
Any cherry lovers in the house? Well, try Haribo’s happy cherry pack for tasty cherry jellies that will transport you back to grandma’s cherry yard.
It is a lovely sweet jelly pack with cherry-shaped jellies.
- Haribo Happy Cola Gummy Bears
The Haribo’s Happy cola jellies are made up of cola jellies, and it was released for their 50 years of adventure in the industry.
These gummy bears are delicious and give a nice flavor of coca-cola. Try them without fail!
- Haribo Pico-Balla Gummy Bears
These gummy bears are the millennium’s favorite as each jelly comes in three flavors which can be taken apart and fit into other jellies. So, you can play around and create your own blast of gummy bears. They are often used along with the standard gold bears to make cakes and cupcakes.
Well, now that you know the various Haribo gummy bear flavors and types, let’s look into their health benefits!
Are Haribo Gummy Bears Healthy?
Yes, Haribo Gummy Bears are healthy when consumed at moderate levels. The gummy bears have a rich content of sugars that may help you keep your daily dose of sugar levels in balance.
After an intense workout or sports activity, taking them can restore your metabolism rate to a certain extent and mixes glucose content into the bloodstream. However, the gummy bears may help to a minimal extent only.
The Haribo Gummy Bears also have high levels of citric acids extracted from fruits, vegetables, and plants. As a result, they may give an immunity boost, and doctors often recommend kids with a sore throat nibble on the sour Haribo Gummy Bears to ease the pain.
But, of course, no food item can harm you if taken in moderation, and the same goes for Haribo Gummy Bears. They are way better than most cavity-inducing chocolates; hence you can treat your kid or yourself with these yummy candies once in a while.
Can Gluten Free Haribo Gummy Bears Be Made?
Haribo Gummy Bears use gluten to make them tasty and keep them in precise shape and texture but guess what? You can definitely make gluten free Haribo Gummy Bears at home. All you need to do is get a gummy bear mold and a few ingredients to make tasty fruity gummy bears!
This recipe requires no artificial colorings or flavorings. They are simple and easy to make, but they are for instant usage due to the lack of preservatives. You can pick your choice of fruits and get their juices ready. Now let’s get on with the recipe. All you need for it:
- 3 ounces of flavored gelatin
- ¼ ounce of unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup of cold water
- Fruit juices based on your flavored gelatin
- Gummy bear molds
- Spray the nonstick cooking spray at the mold and rub it lightly.
- After that, brush oil lightly on the molds and keep it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, pour3 ounces of gelatin into it.
- Put unflavored gelatin into it and mix it nicely.
- Then, keep stirring as you pour water into it.
- Make sure you don’t have any lumps.
- Now add drops of fruit juice into the mixture.
- In case you wish for more fruity gummy bears, pour fruit juice instead of water or pour less water and pour fruit juice.
- Whisk them together for three minutes and set them aside at room temperature for ten minutes.
- Wait till the gelatin soaks in the fruit juice and water and soften completely.
- Now place the mixing bowl into the microwave.
- Let the mixture cook for 30 seconds and max 1 min but do not exceed the cooking time.
- Take it out, whisk it again and place it back to cook for another 30 seconds.
- When you take it out, the mixture needs to be uniform, and all the ingredients should have dissolved.
- If it’s not dissolved, pour a few drops of water and whisk again before you place it in the microwave oven for 30 seconds again.
- Take the mold and fill it up with the mixture.
- Make sure no bubbles are created. Use a toothpick to break any bubbles in the molds.
- Place the mold in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the gelatin.
- Take the mold out and just push the gummy bears out.
- Let them dry for ten minutes, and they are good to be served.
Gummy Bear Martini
Gummy bears are not just for kids; they are for adults too! They are the perfect ingredient for making tasty and sweet cocktails, and one such recipe is the Gummy bear Martini. All you need for this cocktail is:
- 2 ounces of raspberry vodka
- 1 ounce of peach schnapps
- 1 ounce of cranberry juice
- Gummy bears
- Take one ounce of raspberry vodka and pour it into a cocktail shaker.
- Put your gummy bears into it and stir them.
- Leave it aside for a few hours for the gummy bears to dissolve and make gummy bear induced vodka.
- Take the cocktail shake, pour the gummy bear induced vodka, and another ounce of raspberry vodka into it.
- In case you want it to be strong, add another ounce of vodka.
- Pour one ounce of peach schnapps and shake it well.
- Then add cranberry juice and ice.
- Shake well and pour it into a martini glass.
- Garnish the cocktail with a skewer of gummy bears on the top.
- Enjoy the drink!
Drunk Gummy Bears
Ever tried drunk gummy bears? Just like special weed brownies, drunk gummy bears are perfect for a fun party and will definitely give you a buzz. As you now know, the gluten free Haribo Gummy Bears recipe, let’s use them to make drunk gummy bears. All you need for this:
- Plain flavored vodka ( Smirnoff/ Absolut)
- Gummy bears
- Firstly segregate the types of gummy bears into different bowls.
- Take the plain vodka, make sure it has a high concentration of alcohol. (46% for best results)
- Pour the vodka into the bowls of gummy bears.
- Fill it till all the bears are soaked completely.
- Leave the bowls for 24 hours.
- Do keep the lids closed so that the alcohol does not evaporate, nor the fruity smell of the gummy bears is lost.
- After 24 hours, take the soaked gummy bears.
- They are enlarged entirely and are very slippery to touch.
- Put them separately on a plate and let them dry for an hour.
- Use skewers to serve the drunk gummy bears.
Your gluten free Haribo drunk gummy bears are ready. They are hot and sweet at the same time due to the vodka and sugar. You can also try it with tequila or white rum as well for a blastful experience, so don’t forget to try them out!
Haribo Gummy Bears are very popular among kids and adults, just like the brand’s tagline “Kids and grownups love it so…”. The brand uses good quality ingredients, but unfortunately, they have gluten in them. But as you now know, the gluten free recipe to make tasty Haribo Gummy Bears at home, make sure to make them with your favorite fruit flavors.